Tuesday, March 14, 2006

POPULAR is Profanity!

Here's a recent comment to my last post (March 8, 2006):

First, I must apologize for the difficulty in posting my response. I thought I had done everything correctly.
I also apologize for the timing of the second response. It did occur to me that you might slow in responding due to your accident, but I posted anyway. I hope you are recovering well.

You are correct. My little comment bomb was more than little. But brevity would have kept me from properly addressing your slap-dash statement on swearing.
I stand by my statement. Since you can't get it to post, if you like, you can send people to my blog http://dimland.blogspot.com/ I have your initial statement and my response.

I will look up creative license. Being a cartoonist/illustrator, I don't have any idea what you could possibly mean by that. It's been fun.

Then, my response on his blog:

It's ALL in fun... isn't it Jim? It's just another ride at the amusement park of life! Thanks for having a sense of humor... that can be a rarity at times...

By the way, I received another response (in my email) from someone named AMY. Can we say POTTY MOUTH??? Yes, I said it, POTTY MOUTH big time... I'll have to admit, after reading her response to my last posting (Blog Stalker=Verbal Diarrhea); I'm rethinking this profanity thing. My goodness did she ever get down and dirty. She called me a f---ing bitch...

See, the amazing thing is, in reading a comment or an email in general, WE are the Actors reading the script, we hear the characters speaking in our head. We make the choices for these characters without truly knowing the subtext. Sooooooo, it's so easy to mis-read the intent of the originator.

Amy's comment was... aaaaaaah... a bit OVER the TOP for me... that's why I'm rethinking profanity right now. But then again, it goes right back to my original question. There IS a time and place. And it takes skill to use it wisely... After reading Amy's response, I would venture a guess that SHE drives a truck (using the stereotype) by the way she talks... or hangs out at the local bowling alley bar (orders beer by the pitcher), has a cigarette dangling from her mouth that's covered in red lipstick (badly), lives in a single wide trailor park, and has bleached hair with roots crying out. OR maybe she's a regular at the corner of Hollywood & Vine... Who knows? Who really cares? NOT ME!

Also, an FYI... The reason I said that truckers don't really deserve that... My husband IS a truck driver, but he's not stereotypical. He's a college graduate who redirected his path. And, we've met some really nice truck drivers in the 10 years he's been driving. I like truckers better than the cut-throat car salesmen I met when he thought he'd try selling cars... (snakes in suits)...yuck-eee!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

See how you ignored the valid points I made and focused on the profanity? See how the profanity gave you a picture of an idiot? Trying to punctuate my point with swearing only made my point go away. It's not an intelligent tool, except for maybe this case. And nope, Jim didn't need me to come to his rescue. ; )

Anonymous said...

Valid point is in the eye of the beholder Amy. You definitely proved that you're an idiot.

jim said...

Uh, Leeann? Did you read what Amy just wrote? I haven't seen Amy's profanity filled comment, but I have read her follow-up response. She's made the some of the points I made. That profanity distracts and gives the impression of lower intelligence. I think she's made those points brilliantly. I gather from Amy's follow-up that she doesn't really think Carlita is an f---ing bitch. She's was merely using the profanity to make her point. I don't see how that makes her an idiot.

Anyway, I'm the Jim who sent the first comment. Long though it was, I don't think it would be considered a dissertation by any professor I might be submitting to for a degree. They'd probably remark, "That's a nice opening statement, now where's the rest?"

But, I digress. I'm satisfied that I've made my point. I think Carlita and I have had some fun and caused some thinking out there. I ain't no stalker! (Bad grammar intended) As far as I'm concerned there is no need for further comment. At least from me.

Thanks, Carlita. It's been fun. Check in on my blog from time to time if you like. I'll drop back to yours to see what's new. Bye, Jim